Friday, March 18, 2011

Old European Restaurant, Pullman

I didn't know this was a chain restaurant until recently. Old European has been in Pullman for a long time (I can't tell you honestly but it feels like my entire life of many years).
I will tell you right off - it's almost always packed and the service is slow so don't go if you are in a hurry. It's really a great example of good things come to those who wait.
My favorite dish is their Hungarian Goulash. It's what I have always known goulash to be and I was shocked to find otherwise. This is almost a breakfast dish - potatoes, eggs, sausage, ham, onions, peppers and cheese. It's not sauce laden and never feels all that heavy. With that said - it's a dish best shared. You can get a half dish but you pay only $1 less. Not only do you get the goulash but you get a choice of a "side" from cinnamon roll to pancakes to fresh fruit. I always get the fruit because the other sides are far too much for me to eat. My son loves the Abelskivers - a pancake made in a ball with a meat and cheese filling (think doughnut hole with meat and cheese in the middle). They have great sandwiches and soups. There are so many choices but most have a Eastern European flavor (German, Hungarian, Russian).
The restaurant is located at 455 S Grand. (I'll work on making sure to add addresses).

No comments: