Friday, March 11, 2011

CUB Gallery - Reinterpreting Reality

It was not my plan to talk about each show at the various art galleries but to inform people that the galleries existed and to encourage you to discover them on your own. This afternoon, I went to the CUB to get a present for my son at the bookstore. Returning to work, I decided to walk through the gallery to see what was "hanging". I was so impressed by the art there that I had to share.
The current exhibit is called Reinterpreting Reality. I am going to borrow the information from their website because I don't want to give false information.
"Five women at WSU, students, faculty and staff, submitted five works
for the new art exhibit entitled, Reinterpreting Reality, seven years
later this has become a signature event for the Washington State
University Women's Resource Center with each year reaching a record
amount of entries. The goals of Reinterpreting Reality are to examine
the artistic expression of personal thoughts and experiences of women as
they redefine themselves within the traditional roles of society whether
it is expressing frustration, anger, celebration, self-discovery or
identity. This annual art exhibit also provides a specific venue for WSU
women artists and community artists to voice their opinions and
experiences to the larger WSU community. Kim Barrett, the founder of
this art exhibit, wanted to target more specifically the closet artists
in the WSU community. Many women create art only for themselves, they
often do not have the opportunity to submit their art for exhibits or
feel that as an amateur artist their work would not be accepted.
Reinterpreting Reality was created with the hope that all women who love
to create would finally have a chance to publicly display their artwork
in a gallery setting."
It is an amazing and eclectic exhibit. The artwork is stunning. The collection includes 2 quilts, ceramics, sculptures, paintings, drawings and photographs (and maybe a few other things I forgot to mention). I wish I had taken my camera and may go back next week for pictures. It's incredible (I need a thesaurus to continue to describe this exhibit).
Take the time to walk through. It's a lot more artwork than has been there in the past but it's a good time for all.

No comments: