Friday, February 11, 2011

Hanging out in downtown Moscow ID

Moscow, Idaho is only 7 miles from Pullman and practically sits on the Washington border. I wanted to share a few of my favorite places to go to when I need something to do.

The Moscow Food Co-op has been a favorite place of mine since I discovered it during my pregnancy. 14 years later, I am a lifetime member and can't imagine ever not having a co-op in my life. The co-op is a grocery store that caters to the more natural and organic but it's so much more.


They have a full service deli with sandwiches, deli foods, espresso and some of the best baked goods you will ever eat. Want something that tastes like a combination of your childhood and luxury - go for a sandwich on their in-house pesto rolls. These rolls look like cinnamon rolls but are stuffed with pesto and cheese. My husband says they taste like Bologna but I think they taste like something out of a fancy Italian restaurant. I remember one year, my friends and I tried to recreate these but nothing comes close to the original.
If the food doesn't draw you in - the co-op has nights with music, arts and crafts and even wine tasting. Most events are free to the public. You don't have to be a member but members have great perks - not only do they get discounts at the co-op but many local businesses offer discounts to co-op members (and once I was able to use my membership at a co-op in Port Townsend).

Just down the block from the co-op is the Prichard Art Gallery. This gallery often features work from U of I art students and is amazing. I haven't seen a show there that didn't take my breath away. I love the gift shop (seen behind the window) which is full of work done by artists. I haven't asked if they are local artists but I should. The work there is just as stunning as the gallery.

Further north on Main street is Gem State. It's not really on the must see list for touring Moscow but it's a family favorite. I can't remember how we discovered this store but every time we are in the area my son begs to go in. How can a store full of rocks be interesting. Well the rocks themselves are fantastic. Some are carved in intricate drawings and some are just plain interesting.

The reality is - the snake is what draws most people into Gem State.

The story goes - this rattlesnake was discovered in a parade entry that was full of hay. Somehow the snake got to the store (I can't remember this part of the story). The owner decided to give it a home and use it as an educational tool. He said that people who go rockhounding needed to know what a rattlesnake looked like. The snake is really mellow and disappoints onlookers with it's casual manner. My son once sat watching for an hour as a mouse ran around the "cage" while the snake just watched. He finally left because the snake just was not going to perform.
Next to Gem State is a little open area with a nice little fountain. In the summer, this fountain is full of children playing in the water.

Down a little further and across the street is Hodgins Drug which has been entertaining children large and small for ages.

When you walk in you forget that somewhere in this wonderland is an actual pharmacy. It nearly startles me every time I come upon that counter. The front of the store is a magical playland.



There is an aisle dedicated to Playmobile and another to Legos. It makes everyone want to be a kid. Hidden (just a little) is a stairway leading to the "hobby" floor.

That floor is filled with games and things for model building. I think there's role playing stuff as well but who knows.



I think what's best about it is the store is full of possibilities. It reminds me of movie toy stores where magic can be a reality. That's what this place reminds me of.

Well that's just a few places in downtown Moscow that are worth taking the time to stop in.
As the weather gets warmer, these would be good stops for after the Farmer's Market.

No comments: